This recipe for New Mexican Posole with red chile is sure to remind you of a bowl of your moms or grandmas posole you had on a cold New Mexican Christmas morning. In this recipe we are featuring Monroe’s Red Chile Sauce but feel free to substitute with your favorite local New Mexico red chile.
Red Chile Posole
- 32 oz Monroe's Red Chile Sauce
- 5 lb Pork
- 2 lb Frozen Hominy
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Peeled Onion
- 2.5 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Pour a little over 1 gallon of water into your large stock pot along with your onion and garlic clove, cover with lid and bring to a boil
- Once boiling add 2 lbs. of hominy, cover your pot and wait for the hominy to pop (this usually takes about 35-45 minutes)
- Once the hominy pops add your 5 lbs. of pork and 2 jars of Monroe’s Red Chile, stir to blend, then cover and bring to a boil again.
- Add your salt and oregano, turn heat to medium/low (keep at rolling boil) for approximately 2 hours or until pork is tender and fully cooked
- Turn off heat and skim of any floating onion and garlic skins. Use a spoon to remove your onion and garlic
- Serve in bowls with your favorite sides, and tortillas