How To Make New Mexican Cherry Empanadas
- Empanada or Calzone Mold
- Frying Pan
- 2 Cups Valencia Flour Mill Sopaipilla Mix
- 1 Can Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 Quart Vegetable Oil
- .5 Cup Powdered Sugar (optional)
- .5 Cup Chocolate Syrup (optional)
- Measure 2 cups of Valencia Flour Mill Sopaipilla Mix and pour into a medium mixing mixing bowl
- Follow the 'just-add-water" directions on the back of the Sopaipilla Mix bag to make the sopaipilla dough
- Cover the dough and let it set for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes roll out the dough and and use an empanada or calzone mold to cut 3 to 4 inch circles
- Fill one side of the dough circle with 2 Tablespoons of canned cherry pie filling
- Quickly fold 1/2 of the circle over the filled portion.
- Crimp the edges like around a regular pie to seal the filling inside the empanada.
- Fry in at least 370 degrees F vegetable oil for about 1 minute. Flip the empanada over from side to side to brown evenly.
- Set empanadas on paper towels to drain
- (optional) sprinkle with powdered sugar, drizzle with chocolate syrup, or add your own toppings.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious and sweet cherry empanadas!
About Valencia Flour Mill
The Valencia Flour Mill has a 106-year heritage in its original milling site at 74 Mill Rd., Jarales, NM, in the heart of the Middle Rio Grande Valley. Mill owners, Jose & Kathy Cordova purchase only local New Mexican grains.